Tracking

Wednesday 23 February 2011

1st birthday of share trading


I started trading exactly 1 year ago when I bought 1000 GKN shares for 105p and sold then in September for 180p. I then transferred the money to my TD Waterhouse account as the cost of buying and selling was much cheaper than through HSBC in France. To start with it was costing €200 to buy or sell shares in London. To buy or sell shares in Paris was €10 but I also had to pay €22 “droits de garde” to the bank. All in all I felt I was getting ripped off by HSBC.
To start with I was charged £12.50 for each transaction with TD Waterhouse but after the first 3 months that reduced to £8.95. Also I can buy or sell on the internet whereas with HSBC I had to ring up each time and go through a whole load of rigmarole to buy or sell.
I still have 50000 shares in VOG in my French HSBC account and I am waiting for the sp to hit 10p. So it was a bit of a shock today when the sp fell to 4.3p before recovering to 4.8p. Other than that every share was down except for TSTR which at one point touched 1.24p from a close of 0.94p the previous day.  NOT a good day but I am hoping that soon I will be in profit in most of my shares.  I now have 9 different shares covering 9 different sectors so I am happy that I am spreading the risk. From an investment of £1000 my portfolio is now £13000, some by organic growth but most by adding funds.
I hope that 1 year from now I will have doubled the portfolio to approx £25000. Watch this space!!

No comments:

Post a Comment